Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Geisha Songs

A white fan spreading out, lasting forever, the firm pledges like the silver node of the fan, shimmering in shadows
The boughs of pine trees, the splendid leafy color of deep green, the clearness of the pond in the garden approached, undisturbed by waves of wind, the surface of the water
What an enivable life,
don't you think?


I got up and opend the shoji screen, and looked out on the full moon night, but there was nothing there, but a cuckoo crying to himself
I know she is light and faithless, but she has come back half-repentant, and very pale and very sad
A butterfly needs somewhere to rest at evening


When it's the man I love, he goes by and doesn't come in but men I hate... a hundred times a day
When I pour sake for the man I love even before he drinks up I blush like a cherry blossom
You and me, we live inside an egg
Me?  I am the white
and wrap you round with my body


Tonight as I sleep alone I am on my bed of tears, like an abandoned boat on the deep sea
I dreamed we were back together
My laughter woke me up
I searched frantically all around me
My eyes full of tears


The loves of a little while ago and the smoke of tobacco little by little leave only ashes
When I've got the blues as deep as deep can be, I want to pass the rest of my life as a nun...


This is a collection of "Geisha Songs" I found from Caroline Seawright.  I hope you enjoyed reading the poetry and feeling their meaning.  Warmest regards!


Harlan Urwiler

For more information, please feel free to visit my website at:  http://www.myorientalgallery.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment